Sunday, September 20, 2009

30 down, 110 to go


Saturday, September 20, 2009
***if you would like the recipes email me or check bobbyflay.com***
I would love to post the same night that I cook; but, I can't because it usually so late when I finish. I am tired and quite frankly incoherent late at night my only thing desire is to veg in front of the television.
My only problem has the sauces. The instructions in most cases say that the sauce will reduce on high in 15-20 minutes. Well, let me say they don't reduce in that amount of time and you end up with more than the recipe says you will. Sometimes you really don't want left overs. My fridge is overflowing with left overs. As I said I am on Weight Watchers and really don't want extra temptations in the house. I have thought of inviting people over just to have all the food consumed. When I made polenta I had polenta for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I loved the polenta; but, it is not very filling. It is kind of like Chinese food; you eat it and an hour later you are hungry again.
Menu Breakfast: Mango-Glazed Bacon (served w/ Soft Scrambled eggs), Supper, New Mexican Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Bourbon-Ancho Sauce, and Smoked Red Pepper Sauce, Corn with Roasted Chiles, Creme Fraiche and Cotija Cheese and Lime-Vanilla Creme Brulee.
The bacon took way longer to cook then the recipe said and did not turn out as crisp as stated in the recipe. I had it in for about 35 minutes before I called it good enough. As you can see from the picture below it is close to crisp but not quite. The mango glaze added a nice sweetness to it. Jai and Magnificent Mike both said it was good; but it did not make the vote for the regular breakfast rotation. Unless I have a leisurely weekend day or am able to prepare the glaze before.. well, it just takes way to long.

The dinner was less time consuming. The corn was the easiest to do it just involved roasting the peppers and corn. cut the corn from the cob. Saute the onion until soft add the garlic and serrano chile. Stir in the rest of the veg and then add the butter creme fraiche, lime juice and cilantro. I didn't have a red pepper on hand so I just left it out. I also forgot to put the cilantro in until I took a picture or two. That is just me I usually mistep/forget little things and big things for that matter.
The pork loin was easy. I just rubbed the ancho powder, salt and pepper all over the loin and browned all sides. Then finished it the oven. The bourbon ancho sauce took four-ever to reduce. Well, about 48 minutes to be exact for it to reduce to sauce consistance. I kept putting the spoon in the bourbon sauce waiting and waiting for the sauce to have the proper consistancy. All I can say is AAUUUUGHHHHH!. By the time the sauce was ready the loin was a little on the coolish side. Oh well, As you can see it looked ok and the sauces were good. Everyone had seconds on this and the corn
The creme brulee, or crumb boolee as Jai says, was the easiest. And in my opinion was the star of the night. It was light and refreshing. For some reason one, just one of the brulees was not completely set. That didn't stop Jai from polishing it off in a New York minute. He doesn't like the melted sugar on top; but what is underneath never fails to please him.
over all not a bad day for cooking and all else.






No comments:

Post a Comment