Thursday, September 17, 2009

The start of Becca/Bobby

Thursday, September 17, 2009
Last weekend I was at the town library and saw a copy of Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill cook book. Something in me told me to pick it up and run. Well, I mean I checked it out the proper way, I didn't just steal it. As I paged through the book, all I could think about was how I could not go to culinary school right now. It hit me that I could still learn about food; I would just need to go about it a different way. I decided to learn by doing. I would cook all the recipes in the Mesa Grill cook book. After I completed that I could cook my way through other great cookbooks. So that is what I am doing.

Why did I pick this book? The simple answer is, "IT'S BOBBY FLAY". Seriously, Bobby has the most amazing shows. He doesn't just cook, he doesn't just talk at you. He teaches. Bobby Flay has made me want to get in the kitchen and experiment. He has given me the confidence to do things that I had deemed to "hard" or "advanced". Bobby also seems to genuinely love to be doing what he does.

I actually started my project, Flay in 30 days (or my husband thinks I am trying to make him fat), last weekend. I was going to keep a personal journal on it, complete with pictures of all the dishes I prepared. Then I decided that a blog would give me a little more accountability. I do have several challenges to complete this project. I am currently on Weight Watcher's and trust me the points and this project don't always mesh; but, I refuse to alter the recipes. Doing so would defeat the purpose of the project. I am just working out like a maniac. I also work full time as a customer service agent. Believe me when I say that being on the phone and dealing with people can just wear on you. And last, but definitely not least, is being a wife to Maginficent Mike and mom to an eleven year old boy, Jai.

As I said before I started my project last weekend. I will begin by posting my latest and below that I will have a previous meal. I will do this for the next five days. After that I will just do my regular posting.

9:30 pm
M enu: Queso Fundido with Roasted Pablano Vinaigrette

Tonight like every other night has had it's challenges. I should say that it was disorganized as any other night. I forgot that Jai's school was having the BIG PTA meeting tonight. I was only able to roast the peppers for the Roasted Pablano Vinaigrette and I hadn't taken a shower yet. I work from home so if I get up late I don't take a shower until my lunch break or after I get off work. I started an early (5 am) workout schedule so I am beat. After I wrapped up my work. I jumped in the shower and attempted to make myself look presentable. My blow dryer is broken, dropped it and of course it cracked. So I tried to dry and straighten my hair with my incredible, magical hair straightener. Let me tell you they don't work very well.

The meeting went until almost 8 pm. Sitting there I kept thinking how I would have to alter my planned menu of Lamb Shanks with Serrano-Vinegar Sauce and Sweet Potato Risotto with Roasted Chanterelles. The problem was what recipe would take the least amount of time and prep. (Side note: I also kept thinking that this would put me behind on my schedule of 30 days. I have to do atleast 35 recipes a week to be on schedule.) The one that I select was Queso Fundido with Roasted Pablano Vinaigrette. As soon as we got home I started the Roasted Pablano Sauce. Bobby says to puree until smooth. It seemed like it took four-ever in my old (9 years) Black and Decker food processor. After about 12 minutes of processing the sauce was as close as it could get to a full puree. I then started on the actual queso fundido. I grated the 3 cups of Monterey Jack cheese and sliced the goat cheese in 8 equal pieces. I then made the roux as instructed: 1 tbsp of melted butter, 1 tbsp flour (this part always smells good to me). After that thickened I added the 1 cup of whole milk. After that thickens slightly pull the mixture off the stove and add the Monterey Jack and a pinch of salt and pepper. Then move the mixture to a 8" cast iron pan and top with the slice of goat cheese. Put under the broiler until the goat cheese is golden brown.

OK. So mine everything but the goat cheese browned. I had to cover the darker brown spots with the Roasted Pablano Vinaigrette. I forgot to sprinkle the cilantro over it at the end like the recipe calls for; but, that is just par for the course. I always forget the little touches. I did not feel like doing and more than I had to so I served the queso with store bought tortilla chips, both blue corn and yellow corn.

I don't think forgetting the cilantro sprinkles affected the dish. Magnificent Mike and I cleaned the cast iron skillet despite having several tacos at the PTA function. Oh, and Jai ate his share to.

Everytime I step into my kitchen and am disorganized. I think of Katie Scarlett's motto " After all tomorrow is another day" and I get new hope.

Here is the picture:

No comments:

Post a Comment